The firm’s energy expertise is market leading and it is one of our core sector focuses. We have acted for a raft of multinational companies in some of the most important inbound Romanian energy transactions.
Our diverse sector experience has seen us leading on major oil and gas, power and renewables projects, as well as in developing, niche fields such as mini hydro power plants and solar technology. We are able to assist our energy clients with the full life-span of a project from inception to completion, and with post-completion issues including disputes.
Led by Ionut Bohalteanu, please see below for a summary of our team’s first-class recent experience:
- Advising the international infra-fund of Deutsche Bank in connection to the attempted acquisition of the participations within the local subsidiaries of a multinational distributor of electricity and a leading operator in the power and gas markets of Europe and Latin America. Legal assistance included preparing a red flag due diligence report with respect to the target companies.
- Advising a Romanian company acting in the petroleum services field in connection to the formalities for obtaining/transfer the necessary authorizations/ licenses from the relevant public authorities in the context of the transfer of business from Romanian integrated oil company, part of the largest oil and gas producer group in Southeast Europe.
- Advising Premier Energy, in connection to the acquisition of a natural gas supplier and distributor in insolvency; legal assistance included assisting the client in relation to the officer receiver, the shareholders and the creditors of the target company, drafting the relevant transaction documentation as well as various post-transaction legal matters.
- Advising one of the most important Romanian ministries on the share capital increase of the largest oil and gas group in South-eastern Europe.
- Assisting a State-owned energy producer in connection to the assessment of its legal options following the annulment of the general meeting shareholders resolution by which was approved the transfer in lieu of payment of several assets owned by another State-owned company.
- Advising Enel Energie Muntenia regarding the contemplated acquisition of the share capital of a affiliated company followed by merger.
- Advising a Romanian company acting in the petroleum services field, in connection to drafting and negotiating various specific agreements for the day-to-day activity. Legal assistance included drafting the agreements and assisting the client during the negotiation of the services providers/suppliers.
- Advising a leading Chinese solar power company on its purchase of the SPV share capital of a Romanian energy company in one of the most important transactions
- Advising the shareholders of a Romanian natural gas distributor in the procedure involving the sale of 100% of the company share capital to a company owned by a major Czech investment fund. Legal assistance included drafting the transaction documentation and assistance during the negotiation process.
- Advising a natural gas supplier and distributor acting in Maramures county in connection to a wide range of matters from corporate amendments, amendments of the restructuration plan to assistance in the insolvency file up to its closing, potential acquisition of client portfolio from another gas distributor etc.
- Assisting a multinational bank on the share capital increase of one of the largest electricity producers in Romania in one of the most prestigious recent Romanian capital markets instructions.
- We advised one of the most important players in the generation and distribution of energy and one of the leaders in the development of renewables on various issues related to the post-privatization obligations of one a subsidiary of a major Romanian electricity supplier.
- Advising a leading Romanian company operating on the electricity market in connection with the attempted sale of the electricity distribution networks located in Bucharest. Legal assistance included the assessment of the legal status of the electricity distribution network, as well as assisting the client during the negotiations with the buyer.
- Advising the leading broker in the Romanian stock market on the share capital increase of a top nuclear producer in Romania through government subsidies. Our assistance included drafting the offer prospectus and addressing various regulatory matters, including state aid issues.
- Advising Enel Romania on various legal matters, including implementation in Romania of article 24 of Directive 2009/72/EC concerning the common rules for the internal market in electricity, as well as a wide range of high-level corporate and real estate issues.
- Advising the Romanian Transmission and System Operator (TSO), which plays a key role in the Romanian electricity market, on its share capital increase by contribution in kind. Our advice included assessment of the regulatory framework and drafting an opinion on the required amount of the increase.
- Advising Anima Wings Aviation, a company intended to act as Romanian air operator, in connection to the negotiation of an ISDA agreement having as object call option and/or purchase with commodity swap.
- We advised a Czech developer of two photovoltaic parks on its sale of 100% of SPV share capital to a US based investment fund. This included obtaining the necessary green and electricity regulatory licenses the transaction required.
- We represented the Romanian subsidiary of one of Europe’s largest power sector players in a dispute with one of the largest Romania electricity producers in Romania related to the performance of electricity sale purchase agreements.
- Advising an important Romanian real estate developer on the transfer of the electricity distribution network of two residential complexes to one of the main electricity distributors.