Competition & State Aid
Competition is a strongly developing practice at the firm, and one in which we are carving a robust reputation for high-level advice to international clients on issues of crucial importance to their operations.
Our sector expertise is vast including, among others, the FMCG, software and pharma industries. Our experience is equally wide-ranging covering competition issues as diverse as identification of risk, assistance during investigations by the competition authorities, applications for state aid schemes and training on competition matters (including simulated dawn raids).
Illustrations of the calibre of our practice include:
- Advising a global healthcare company on competition issues related to its Romanian businesses, including a long-running inquiry into the pharmaceutical sector conducted by Romanian Competition Council. We also advised on the legal feasibility, from a competition standpoint, of our client’s proposed business models.
- Assisting a UK software company with its application for a state aid scheme to promote regional development.
- Advising the Romanian entity of an American global consumer products company on various competition issues related to its wholesalers.
- Counselling various important producers of decorative lacquers and paints during an investigation carried out by the Competition Council into territorial pricing and distribution.
- Multiple mandates during a sector investigation into the Romanian natural gas market.
- Advising the local affiliate of Allergan, a global Irish based pharmaceutical company, focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceutical, device, biologic, surgical and regenerative medicinal products and medical devices, in connection with an extensive range of competition law matters in respect of its activity in Romania.
- Advising Biogenis, the Romanian subsidiary of one of the largest private stem cells banks in Europe in connection to various competition law aspects related to their activity on the Romanian market.
- Advising Banca Transilvania, the second largest bank in Romania, in connection to various matters in relation to competition law.
- Advising Provident Financial Romania IFN SA, a local subsidiary of International Personal Finance Investments Limited, one of the largest home credit business in the United Kingdom and Ireland, in connection with various competition law matters regarding the products and services implemented on the Romanian market.
- Advising Genesis Pharma, a leading player in the pharmaceutical market, in connection with an extensive range of competition law matters in connection to its activity in Romania.
- Advising Christian Tour, the largest Romanian tour operator for charter holidays, in connection to an extended range of competition law and state aid matters related to various agreements in the current activity of the company (partnership, agency and franchise agreements), or with respect to competition matters related to specific projects.
- Advising Novo Nordisk, a global healthcare company with more than 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care, in connection with an extensive range of competition law matters concerning their activity carried out in Romania.
- Advising Teraplast, a major Romanian producer of isothermal panels during its strategic acquisition of a 60% stake in Depaco SRL (a Romanian manufacturer of PVC tents). with the merger control notification procedure in front of the Romanian Competition Council.
- Advising Colgate-Palmolive SRL, a Romanian company active on consumer healthcare products market on an extensive range of competition law matters in respect of their activity in Romania.
- Advising Vertex, a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation, in connection with the competition law matters in respect of the distribution activity carried out in Romania for medicinal products.
- Advising Draeger Medical Romania, a leading international company in the fields of medical and safety technology, in connection with various topics regarding competition law and public procurement matters in respect of the distribution activity carried out in Romania.